Stress and anxiety can be some of the key causes to sleeplessness
most of us know this, but what do we do about it?
So many people talk about their struggle to sleep and yet at the same time feel exhausted, they want and need to sleep but when they lie down their minds are so busy and their eyes’ just wont close.
If this sounds familiar, you are not alone.
As we become busier and distracted in our outside world with family, work and relationships, our inner world gets stressed as well.
We run until our body and mind have been pushed to the limits and we only stop because we get sick, physically and/or mentally.
Restore Yoga is the relearning of how to relax, that has been lost somewhere in the hectic pace of life.
Restore and Yin Yoga shows us how to slow down, to feel deep supportive stretching, slower movement and restore our nervous system.
Taking the nervous system from sympathetic – flight and flee to parasympathetic – rest and digest.
Where we can rejuvenate and in turn the various systems in our bodies can reset. Then we can begin to heal mentally and physically.
Here are Jenny’s tips to help you sleep on and off the mat:
- A gentle walk late afternoon/early evening
- Gentle stretches before going to bed with a cup of chamomile tea
- Breathe – breathe in for a count of 4 and out for 6 (repeat as often as needed)
- If you wake up during the night and find it hard to get back to sleep maybe try the breathing in for 4 and out for 6 again
- If you are still awake, getting up for a warm drink may help and maybe doing some light reading, not the thriller you just bought! 😊
- Journaling is another good resource to use at this time, write down what has got your attention and keep going until it is all on the paper and out of your head
- If you have a ‘to do’ list swirling around in your head, once again get it down on paper and tell yourself you have now made a list that you can go through in the morning.
- Sometimes when I can’t sleep I repeat a mantra over and over, and more often than not it will put me into a beautiful deep sleep – my mantra of choice at the moment is Sri Ram, Jai Ram, Jai Jai Ram, meaning – beloved Ram (god or whatever name is right for you), I honour you. If you would like to listen to a Kirtan version, here is one from Krishna Das (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryDkPJFD6oo The mantra starts at about 4 mins in, I put my headphones on and it feels like I am surrounded by this beautiful feeling of love. It touches me deeply and I first learnt this mantra doing an online Meditation and Mantra course through Ram Dass.
We hope these tips may help you sleep a little better
Nurture and Nourish – Thursday 9.30am
Restore and Move – Thursday 6pm (moving to Wednesday 6pm on March the 31st)
Yin Yoga in the Dynamic classes that combine the faster pace of Yang and finish with the slow release of Yin
Recorded Classes – include restore and yin and more to come
Check out the new free recorded classes
This will give you a taste of what’s on offer in a monthly membership
Membership for Recorded classes only $20 a Month!
Access to a wide range of classes that is growing weekly
And do classes at your convenience.